I'll get to the Oscars shortly, but first, in response to the Razzies, here's my list of the worst movies of 2007:
Also, for the record, here's my list of the ten worst movies of last year:
10. Smokin' Aces: A bizarre mishmash and miscalculation from Joe Carnahan.
9. In the Valley of Elah: Paul Haggis's lastest was less obviously annoying than Crash, but just as pedantic and condescending.
8. 300: This homophobic and xenophobic screed was partially redeemed by its cutting-edge visuals.
7. Finishing the Game: The inevitable crappy successor to the great Christopher Guest movies of the last several years.
6. Norbit: Eddie Murphy's bare id, revealed for all the world to see as pathetically self-loathing and misanthropic.
5. The Hitcher: Your standard pointless horror remake, jazzed up by pointlessly beautiful cinematography from a music-video director.
4. Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem: Your standard pointless sci-fi sequel, crudded up by dismal filmmaking and muddy cinematography.
3. The Reaping: This year's entry in the religious horror movie sweepstakes, which are always about proving the existence of God through fear and terror.
2. Saw IV: Lazy and badly made all the way around.
1. Severe Visibility: Nobody saw this 9/11 conspiracy movie, which is as it should be.
Hopefully I'll see fewer awful movies in 2008, although Cloverfield is an early contender for next year's list.