Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Anthony Minghella, 1954-2008

This was a sudden surprise, a talented guy gone too soon. Of the films he directed I've only seen The English Patient, Cold Mountain, and my favorite of the three, the elegantly twisted identity thriller The Talented Mr. Ripley, which I love. But I also knew Minghella from his writing (Jim Henson's The Storyteller) and producing (The Interpreter and Michael Clayton). Above all, though, I knew him through his interviews on filmmaking and writing and editing where he demonstrated class, erudition, and artistic passion. His films are well-made and classy (almost to a fault) in an old-fashioned Hollywood way that's increasingly hard to find in a world of empty spectacle and pale recycling.

Condolences to his friends and family.

No comments: