Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The "Cloverfield" Trailer


I hate to be the tool of a marketing campaign, but I wanted to comment a little on this trailer, which reportedly was attached to prints of Transformers. It seems really lame to me, because even though it appears to be an attempt to make a CGI event/action movie that looks like it was shot on handheld, consumer-level DV, they get so many obvious things wrong that I'm annoyed with it from the get-go. To do a movie like this right, you have to shoot it in the proper shooting format - 4x3 or 16x9, to match what a consumer camera looks like, not widescreen 2.35:1. The explosions and FX shots look fake, the editing is conventional, and the movie apparently comes with a story arc and a handsome protagonist, both of which scream 'Hollywood formula' to me, not verite-realism. It's too bad because the idea of a ground-level movie like this is a great concept which J.J. Abrams and crew are seemingly bastardizing.

No comments: